Posts for tag: Dental Implants
Missing teeth can cause various issues, both with your teeth and the level of self-confidence you feel about your appearance. In the past, filling in the gaps in your smile would mean sacrificing healthy teeth to hold a bridge or wearing a denture. Luckily, you can now replace one or more missing teeth with a standalone dental restoration called a dental implant. Read below to learn more about implant dentistry, and if you are interested in the procedure, please contact Dr. Rani Seeth, Dr. Alina Huff, and Dr. Fatima Quadri at Bolingbrook Dental Care in Bolingbrook, IL.
How does a dental implant work?
Implant dentistry takes advantage of the body’s natural healing abilities and places the implant directly into the jawbone below a missing tooth. As the implant site heals, the bone grows around it, anchoring it naturally into place, and allowing it to become a permanent part of your smile. After the healing process, which takes several months, your dentist will reopen the implant site to attach the prosthetic tooth to the implant, completing the process and filling in your gap.
Types of Dental Implants
Dental implants do not require the help of other teeth to stay in place, making them a truly versatile porcelain restoration.
- Single Tooth Implants: Single tooth implants stand alone and replace a single missing tooth. Unlike a traditional dental bridge, single tooth implants do not require the surrounding healthy teeth to help them remain in place.
- Multiple Tooth Implants: Multiple tooth implants replace several teeth at once, using a prosthetic similar to a dental bridge with two or more replacement teeth held in place with implants on either side.
- Implant-Supported Dentures: Traditional dentures use gravity or suction to stay in place, making them susceptible to falling out or shifting while eating or speaking. Implant-supported dentures remain permanently anchored into the mouth, eliminating this problem and giving you a natural-looking tooth replacement solution.
Implant Dentistry in Bolingbrook, IL
If you are considering dental implants to replace your missing teeth, a consultation with your dentist can help you decide that this is your best treatment option. For more information on dental implants, please contact Dr. Rani Seeth, Dr. Alina Huff, and Dr. Fatima Quadri at Bolingbrook Dental Care in Bolingbrook, IL. Call (630) 739-5500 to schedule an appointment with your dentist today!
If you lose a tooth or two, what's the difference? Frankly, your smile experiences a big difference as teeth drift to fill the gap and as bone and gum tissue recedes. That's why you should explore today's most efficient, long-lasting and realistic tooth replacement: the dental implant. Placed by your caring team at Bolingbrook Dental Care in Bolingbrook, IL, dental implants close those unattractive and unhealthy smile gaps, solving your tooth loss problem.
The story of dental implants
Dental implants have gained tremendous favor and popularity over the last thirty years. In fact, the American Academy of Implant Dentistry says that both dentists and patients recognize that implants closely resemble real teeth.
How can this be? The answer lies in the natural affinity human bone has for the metal titanium, the main component of the dental implant. Inserted into the jaw during an in-office procedure, the titanium implant and the jaw bone immediately start adhering to each other through a process called osseointegration. It creates an exceptionally strong bond between the jaw and the artificial tooth.
Are dental implants right for you?
They work well for many people as long as their oral health and bone density are good. To check yours, your Bolingbrook dentist will inspect your teeth and gums and take digital X-rays and other imaging. Then, the procedure can begin.
Most implant treatments require only local anesthetic to numb the area. Next, the dentist opens the gums and creates a small opening in the bone. She then inserts the titanium implant screw and sutures the area closed.
As the implant site heals, the bond between the device and the bone strengthens. Sufficient healing time is critical to success; so your dentist allows for adequate osseointegration.
When you return to Bolingbrook Dental Care, your doctor will re-open the site and attach a metal alloy extension post (abutment) and customized porcelain crown to the implant. Then, your procedure is complete.
Most research statistics show that dental implants succeed and stay in place more than 90 percent of the time. The biggest threat to longevity is poor oral hygiene; so if you receive one or more dental implants, or if your dentist recommends implant-supported dentures or bridgework, dedicate yourself to keeping implant sites clean.
Your hygienist will show you the best way to clean your prosthetics, but of course, basic rules apply:
- Brush twice daily.
- Floss around your implants once a day to remove plaque.
- Visit Bolingbrook Dental Care every six months for a professional cleaning and examination.
- Stop smoking.
A complete smile
It can be yours with dental implants from Bolingbrook Dental Care in Bolingbrook, IL. For your one-on-one consultation with one of our four outstanding dentists, call the office at (630) 739-5500.
Digging into tooth replacement options for your missing tooth or teeth may seem difficult or confusing. However, with dental implants, you can replace your teeth permanently and restore your smile to what it was before your missing teeth. Find out more about dental implants with your dentist at Bolingbrook Dental Care in Bolingbrook, IL.
Facts About Dental Implants
- Dental implants are permanent. Thanks to their design, dental implants integrate permanently into the bone in which they are placed. Successful and permanent integration is crucial in providing a strong foundation for the replacement tooth. While the replacement tooth may need maintenance over the years, the implant itself will last a lifetime.
- Dental implants help restore your smile aesthetically and functionally. One of the most obvious benefits of dental implants is the full, gap-free smile they provide. However, they also restore the biting surface of a tooth which, in some cases, can help relieve the symptoms of conditions like TMJ (temporomandibular joint) disorder. Implants can also help reverse the side effects of missing teeth like sagging facial skin. Implants also provide the stimulation the jawbone requires to stay healthy and prevent bone atrophy.
- Dental implants are versatile. Dental implants can replace one, many, or all of your teeth. However, an implant for every tooth is not always necessary. For example, replacing all of your teeth requires the help of only four to six implants which hold an implant-supported denture in place. Replacing three teeth in a row requires only two implants on either side to anchor down the bridge.
- Dental implants are a natural-looking tooth replacement option. A dental laboratory customizes each replacement tooth which will eventually cover your dental implant. The lab also takes the restoration’s color into account, carefully matching it to your natural teeth. This ensures a natural look which will blend in with your smile flawlessly. Your implants will feel, function and look just like natural teeth.
Getting Dental Implants in Bolingbrook
For more information on dental implants, please contact Dr. Rani Seeth, Dr. Alina Huff, Dr. Avanti Sanghavi and Dr. Tabasam Akbar, at Bolingbrook Dental Care in Bolingbrook, IL. Call (630) 739-5500 to schedule your consultation for dental implants today!
Discover why getting dental implants could just be the best decision for treating tooth loss.
Are you one of the millions of Americans dealing with tooth loss? This problem may be surprisingly common but it doesn’t make it any less serious. It’s important that you see your Bolingbrook dentists right away to get the proper treatment you need to help you restore your smile. Of course, one great way to do this is with dental implants.
What are the advantages of dental implants?
There are a multitude of pros to choosing to get dental implants in Bolingbrook, IL including:
The Next Best Thing to Real
A dental implant looks and functions just like a natural tooth. When replacing a single tooth with an implant you won’t need to use neighboring teeth for support like you would with dental bridges. The implant is designed to replace a tooth's root and is placed into the jawbone where it integrates with the bone. If you are looking for a restoration that mimics a real tooth then implants are the way to go.
They Preserve Your Bone Health
Tooth loss also causes the jawbone to deteriorate, which can affect your facial structure and cause other teeth to shift out of alignment. But you can prevent all of this from happening by opting for dental implants. Since implants are biocompatible the bone easily fuses together with the titanium post. From there the implant can then stimulate the jawbone to produce new healthy cells. No jaw deterioration and no changes to your facial structure!
Designed to Last a Lifetime
Other tooth loss options may have a more attractive price point but there is a reason: these other restorations only last a few years before needing to be replaced. Over time, you may end up spending more on new restorations, but once you get implants they are made for life. An implant is built from strong, reliable metal and because it fuses with the bone your implant is meant to last the rest of your life if you care for it properly!
Restore Speech and Chewing
Eating and speaking: two everyday habits that we may take for granted until we lose teeth. Once this happens you may notice that your speech has been affected or that eating some of your favorite foods is a challenge. But before these become a source of frustration know that dental implants can completely restore your ability to speak properly and make it easier to bite into that thick, juicy steak during dinnertime.
This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what dental implants can do for your smile and oral health. To find out if dental implants are the best option for you turn to Bolingbrook Dental Care in Bolingbrook, IL. Call us today at (630)739-5500 to schedule your initial consultation!
Find out more about what to expect before you get a dental implant.
Dental implants are an ideal option for many patients suffering from tooth loss. However, getting dental implants is a rather involved process that includes multiple surgeries over the course of a few months. Before your treatment can start, you will need to prepare yourself for the process.
Evaluation: During your initial consultation your Bolingbrook dentist will complete a full dental examination with X-rays and impressions to see if dental implants are right for your smile. From there, we will sit down and create a treatment plan that will take into account other issues you may have, like multiple missing teeth, or a weak jawbone.
During the evaluation, it’s important to talk to your dentist about any medical conditions you have or medications you are taking, from vitamins to over-the-counter or prescriptions. Furthermore, if you have a heart condition it’s important to tell your Bolingbrook dentist before your procedure, as antibiotics may need to be prescribed before your surgery.
Before surgery: Talk to your dentist about any special precautions you might need to take that are dependent on the anesthesia you've opted for. Ask about whether you can eat or drink prior to your surgery. If you've opted for general anesthesia, someone else will need to drive you home. Furthermore, you should expect to spend that whole day after surgery recovering and resting.
Other things to consider before you start the dental implant process:
Expect multiple dental visits: Unlike other tooth loss replacement options, getting a dental implant takes multiple procedures and several visits. Therefore, it’s important to prepare yourself for at least two surgeries and four dental visits (not including the follow-up visits after you get your implant).
Expect the process to take months: Since multiple procedures are required, it’s just as important that we give your mouth time to heal properly between each surgery. While a lot will depend on how quickly your mouth heals, expect this to take several months or even up to a year to complete.
If you are interested in finding out whether dental implants are right for you, then schedule a consultation today with Bolingbrook Dental Care.