Caring dentists such as the expert team at Bolingbrook Dental Care dedicate their practice to outstanding dental and overall health for patients across the age spectrum. They attain and keep current on advanced skills such as oral (maxillofacial) surgery, often needed to correct problems in facial structure that impact the teeth, gums, jaw bone and the soft tissues of the oral cavity.
Oral surgery produces life-changing effects for patients who have:
- a protruding jaw
- misaligned, crooked or protruding teeth
- problems with the appearance of teeth, lips, cheeks and nose
- diseased tooth pulp that requires root canal therapy
- impacted wisdom teeth
In particular, corrective jaw surgery, also called orthognathic surgery, realigns the jaw to improve:
- uneven wearing of teeth
- open bite, where teeth do not close together completely
- cross bite where teeth are positioned to one side of the mouth or the other
- birth defects of the face such as cleft palate
- receding jaw (genioplasty)
- sleep apnea where airflow is obstructed by tissues at the back of the throat
- temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ) characterized by a painful jaw joint that clicks, pops or closes improperly
- a face that is unbalanced
Oral surgery plus orthodontics
Jaw surgery is often performed in concert with dental treatment and orthodontics (braces) and reconstructs the upper, lower, or both jaw bones. Doctors at the Mayo Clinic state that some orthognathic surgeries are performed in the hospital, and depending on the goal, involve:
- little or no scarring because all the work is done in the mouth
- bone grafting with tissue taken from the hip or rib
- aligning of the upper and lower jaws
Jaw realignment involves surgical incisions into the upper and lower jaw bones and the installation of metal screws and plates to maintain the corrected position. Patients can expect an improved ability to chew, speak and breathe, and they enjoy a normalized appearance for greater self-confidence and overall well-being.
Bolingbrook Dental Care
Rani Seeth DDS, Alina Huff DDS, Avanti Sanghavi DDS and Sarah Janowski DMD take a comprehensive approach to dentistry. They consider the status of each patient and formulate a treatment plan to deliver the brightest, healthiest and best functioning smile.
Contact Bolingbrook Dental Care today to ask questions related to jaw surgery or any other preventive, restorative, or cosmetic dental procedure. Call (630)739-5500.