Are you considering living with a gap in your smile rather than replacing your lost tooth? You shouldn't—even one missing tooth can change your appearance, inhibit oral functionality, and make life more difficult. Instead, dental implants offered by your Bolingbrook, IL, dentists, Drs. Rani Seeth, Alina Huff, and Prabha Singh of Bolingbrook Dental Care will help you avoid these common tooth loss consequences.
The Consequences of Tooth Loss
As soon as you lose one or more teeth, you may experience:
- Concerns About the Way You Look: A gap in your smile, whether it's large or small, may affect your confidence and self-esteem. If you feel uncomfortable with your new smile, you may find yourself avoiding social situations, or you might decide not to apply for the new job that you really want.
- A Change in Tooth Alignment: It's common for other teeth to shift after tooth loss. Unfortunately, as your teeth move, they may begin to overlap, affecting the alignment of your smile. Drifting teeth affect your appearance, complicate teeth cleaning, and can even change your bite in some cases.
- Difficulty Eating: Biting, grinding, tearing, and chewing food can become challenging after tooth loss. If you stop eating certain foods because chewing has become too difficult, you may face nutritional deficiencies that can threaten your health.
- Wear and Tear: Chewing on one side of your mouth only may seem like a good idea after tooth loss. Unfortunately, this practice can cause abnormal wear and tear on the teeth you use when you chew.
- A Weaker Jawbone: Your teeth roots play an important role in the strength of your jawbone. Without constant stimulation from the roots, the bone may begin to shrink. If shrinking is significant, the bone may not be able to support your teeth, and they may begin to loosen.
Dental Implants Can Restore Your Smile
Dental implants are small titanium posts that serve as the roots for your new teeth. After the posts are implanted in your jawbone, they are topped with dental crowns that replace the visible parts of teeth.
Before you receive your new crowns, the posts must bond to your jawbone, a process that usually takes three to six months. Crowns are made from an impression of your mouth taken during a visit to the Bolingbrook dental office.
Dental implants create brand new teeth that are firmly attached to your jawbone. They feel just like natural teeth and don't alter your biting power. Implants also keep your jawbone strong, improve your appearance, and prevent your teeth from shifting.
Don't let tooth loss change your smile forever! Call your dentists in Bolingbrook, IL, Drs. Seeth, Huff, and Singh of Bolingbrook Dental Care, at (630) 739-5500 to schedule your appointment.